

Summerside School Council (2024-02-21 19:00 GMT-5) - Transcript

Attendees

Andrea Gordon, Angela Ronald, chris, Dahlia, DEVEN GILL, Jenna AuCoin, Jenna Robertson, Nadine Mott, Navneet Bhandari, Nik Cotter, NIKHIL SHANKAR, Stuart van Oostveen

Transcript

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.

Jenna Robertson: Perfect. Thank Deven, is it just you tonight?

DEVEN GILL: I think nikhil is supposed to be here. I'd give him maybe a few minutes.

Jenna Robertson: Okay.

Jenna Robertson: Do you want us to come back to you? Okay, perfect Nick.

DEVEN GILL: Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: Would you mind going first for the teachers report?

Nik Cotter: Yeah, I think yeah, Nick should be with us shortly. so I'll just share a few things and then Deb I can always fill in some other stuff if needed. so just want to start off some school wide activities Ronald McDonald House. Pajama day last week there was over 650 dollars raised for Ronald McDonald House Charities. So of course that helps families who are needing to stay near Cheo when their kids are in care, so we're really happy that worked out really well and thanks to I'm not especially for taking the lead on that.

Nik Cotter: When it's also let everyone know that Mrs. Rezai in the library is looking at organizing the forest or reading Awards once again, so that's blue spruce Silver Birch Red Maple and piplier for French books. So there's sort of a short list of books that come out every year. we buy them for the school and then they get register students. We're still looking at how exactly that's going to work and then the kids actually vote on their favorite. So they get to just determine who the winners are and it's just more books for the library as well, which is great and they're always really great titles and awesome artwork in those books. And also schoolwide want to let everyone know that tuning Tuesday is coming up February 27th. So next week is tuni Tuesday, and I'll let Jenna talk more about that since that's one of her things to think.

Nik Cotter: In terms of Staff Development wanted to let everyone know, of course the PD day last week was the Federation day. So it's a day organized by the teacher unions to do some professional development. We heard some speakers over at the shaw center downtown and a nice chance for educators to get together as well with teachers who we don't necessarily see all the time that we might not have been able to see sometimes for years. Student development, we have some events coming up. So stranger is going to be coming back. he's visited our primary classes before to talk about life in the north about Inuits relationships and understandings of the world. So he'll be coming back to talk to the great ones and twos about games that take place in the igloo. So that should be pretty cool.

Nik Cotter: Miss Himes wanted to let everyone know that there's 21 of Summer sides grade eights who are participating in the mini courses program at Carlton you and University of Ottawa. That'll be coming up beginning of May as somebody who myself actually got to do with the enrichment mini course, when I was in high school. I did it at Queens I can attest it's a really really cool program to get to be part of so, I know our kids are gonna be really excited for that. And we have some poets that are coming in to work with our intermediate students. So Zoe Roy is an indigenous poet who's going to be here Thursday and Friday to work

with and to write along with grade 8 students. And then in April Jamal the poet's gonna be coming back to Summer Side to work with our seven and eight students.

Nik Cotter: For spec Ed. We wanted to let everyone know that empowers continuing. So we have two basically power programs. the first one more for primary is decoding and spelling so learning a lot of the phonemic awareness. It's a very rope program, but for kids who are identified as really needing that type of instruction and then the more Junior intermediate is a comprehension and vocabulary and power program. So they work with Miss claim and Miss Haynes for targeted support. That's a tier three intervention. So it's for kids who are really specified as needing that we also have a lot of kids who are doing a tier two Thing called lectio, which is an online program. I've got a lot of my grade trees who are using that and that's really helpful for them. We have the eastern Ontario Resource Centers facilitating leadership sessions for some of our grade five six and seven students.

Nik Cotter: We have turned to IEPs being developed. There's a lot going on right now. So today or yesterday, I think our grade seven and eight IEP review is going on. So they're looking really at whether the current IEPs for students who are on IPS are still right if they need to be modified at all. I know Miss Haynes was telling me we had a lot of kids who certain things are being changed because you realize that they've moved past those schools and they don't need those kind of supports necessarily anymore. And in autism our three autism classes are continuing to receive music therapy from the program music for every child and that's partially funded through their hot dog day fundraisers. So that's most of what's coming from me and then deven and in not sure if nik's here now that they'll tell you more about what's going on for students.

00:05:00

Jenna Robertson: Did you want to get into ...

NIKHIL SHANKAR: Hi everybody. Yeah, hi.

Jenna Robertson: sorry, go ahead.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: My name is nikhil and I'm part of Summerside student council. I'll be one of the representatives for today.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: And so starting off with our student report. We have student leadership. So today was we had our Black History Month assembly. They did an amazing job. It was hosted by our black Excellence club, and it was really well done. And it was really put together. we also have student council that is organizing activities and spirit days and spring activities and we're celebrating the grade seven and eight involvement at Summerside and we also have Beyond differences which is our diversity Club at Summerside which and they've been working on kindness month and they've been including a bulletin board of hearts with messages of thanks for kind acts others have done and there's also been the pink shirt day awareness that's coming up and cultural day planning is starting and that should be happening in around mid April.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: We also have a bunch of other clubs continuing we have done our dungeon and dragon tabletop club. We have the tabletop games Club Islamic Excellence Club, black Excellence Club chess club, which is just started Beyond differences student council and we have our intermediate band. We have violin club and choir we also have Some upcoming field trips happening the grade 3s are going to Max skimming for some outdoor and in March. That's it for me.

DEVEN GILL: Hello everyone. So just to talk about the Arts. We have the choir rehearsing on Fridays. They'll be seeing Canada at the 67s game. And for the grade seven and eights, they're learning new instruments for violin club that continues for grade seven and eight students and the wills jams concert, March 8th for the kindergarten classes. so then this is big thank you to council for the wish list funding and for the Athletics. The girls intermediate basketball tournament is February 27th, and the boys it have a pet friendly game at Saint Matt's on the 13th.

DEVEN GILL: And the girls junior basketball tournament I think it believes March 8th. My screen is here we go. So it should be Force value on March 5th, and the boys junior basketball tournament is also at Forest Valley on March 6th. And then we have the badminton program after school. And we also have the ski day coming up and I just wanted to talk a little bit about the hockey team. So as most of us know here the hockey team has started at Summerside and we practice twice which practice every Tuesday at refriell in the mornings. We do have two tournaments coming up March 21st and April 4th.

DEVEN GILL: And so as a community we decided or we're pitching the idea that we would like to have T-shirts for our hockey team. These aren't jerseys. These would be t-shirts for the players and we have designed them by students in grade 8. So they would have our swarm logo and then it have potentially a number on the side of them and then a few other logos, we'd get about 25 of these shirts and they be around 25 to 30 dollars. So potentially around \$600 of what I'm told. So as far as I know, no other school has done just the t-shirts part just to spread awareness about how they're playing hockey at school. So yeah, so they're just really hoping that councilman could be able to approve the idea for the hockey t-shirts and that's all for me.

Jenna Robertson: Thanks. Nikhilan.

Nadine Mott: I just sorry I just wanted to add to deven's spiel is I was helping him and Mr. Long look into the shirts and it's actually long sleeve shirts. they're looking at An alternative to jerseys because hockey jerseys are quite expensive and so to have something that represents the hockey team that isn't a jersey. and one of the boys in grade eight like Devin said has designed a new swarm logo that goes on the front and they'll have hockey written down the side. It would be \$24 plus tax per long sleeve shirt, and we can get these Lickety split and for their first tournament, March 20 something for 21st. You said if we can get the money to pay for those.

00:10:00

Nadine Mott: That's all. Thank you. Nikhil.

Jenna Robertson: Thanks nikhilin deven and to Nadine for clarifying because we had spoken with Mr. Long on Tuesday, and he was still talking about jerseys then so the jerseys are completely out at this point, okay?

Nadine Mott: The jerseys are sorry. Go ahead deven.

DEVEN GILL: Yeah, so had we were looking into getting jerseys but then Mr. Long had showed us that we did have other jerseys that were previously worn and he said that I don't think I might be wrong but for the t-shirts, I think he told us that I think we already have the jerseys that we're gonna wear and the t-shirts would just be like a part of that as well.

Nadine Mott: So it'd be an off ice uniform kind of thing...

DEVEN GILL: I think yeah.

Nadine Mott: because I think you do already have. Some semblance of hockey jerseys. I don't know what they are. But the price for hockey jerseys for a team would be four to six thousand dollars I think is what they were looking at they're quite expensive. So instead of pitching. Hey want to give me \$4,000 we're thinking do an off ice long sleeve shirt for the teeth.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, Stuart.

Nadine Mott: Is that about seven? Okay.

DEVEN GILL: definitely

Stuart van Oostveen: All So with these I guess they're sort of t-shirts then they would be worn over the jerseys.

Stuart van Oostveen: So the idea or instead of jerseys.

DEVEN GILL: I

Jenna Robertson: Yeah. Do I understand?

Stuart van Oostveen: Okay, and that was my second question whether or not they would so they would stay for the school then to be used for subsequent teams.

Nadine Mott: My understanding was that. They would be used for the individual students my under again. We can clarify this but my understanding was that they be kind of like a black excellent shirt where they have a shirt that represents their Club. That's my understanding. I could be very wrong. I can text long right now and see if he's not on the ice with his kids.

Stuart van Oostveen: I think that's nice for everybody to have a t-shirt. It's probably better I would say if we have t-shirts for kids then they're paid by their parents as opposed to getting School cancel because we want to make sure school council is being kind of evenly distributed for all the kids in school. So

Nadine Mott: If it was something that is shared if they only wear it for game days and then it shared for future years. Would that be okay?

Stuart van Oostveen: I feel better about that. Then it kind of belongs to the school. And then we can Keep using a yeah.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, just to add on to that. I think we heard there in the presentation all the different sports that we have going on. I think if we start saying that some teams get a funded shirts. Particularly for our sports teams and we got kids that are on multiple teams. So did they get then, their hockey shirt and they get a basketball shirt and they get a volleyball shirt that if we want to start including if we want to do that. We kind of need to include everybody and not make it special just for the hockey team in that case,

Jenna Robertson: and Andrea

Andrea Gordon: I totally agree especially as a parent of a child who's playing hockey, but I don't know that having t-shirts shared over the years is really going to last I know my kids go through t-shirts really fast on a regular basis and if they're wearing them Toby will probably wear under his goalie gear. So I'd be happy as a parent to pay to have a t-shirt that says that I think that's a really cool idea. But I totally agree that if we're taking money from Council then what if we need three or four other jerseys Then maybe we could use it to supplement the jerseys that are going to be used here after year. But yeah for the t-shirts, I agree. I think that's a Parent purchase and I'm sure a lot of the parents would be more than happy to support the kids.

00:15:00

Andrea Gordon: Or if it's a fundraiser for the hockey team charge a little bit more for them. And then some of that money goes back to the team. That's cool, too.

Jenna Robertson: Jenna

Jenna AuCoin: Is it possible that we could subsidize if there's one or two kids on the team whose parents don't want to buy a jersey possible that we could subsidize one or two instead of the whole team.

Jenna Robertson: I think what we need to do is Nadine if you could clarify with Mr. Long exactly what it is that we're looking at getting just because it sounds like there's a long sleeve shirts and then maybe still the jerseys just don't based on what he told navneet and I am Pizza Tuesday. Yes, that was just two days ago and he actually said that he'd been looking at costs of jerseys that would be about 70 dollars a piece for about 17 students and those would be used you're over year that you could pass on. So from what I understood there wasn't any jerseys currently unless he found something he didn't know about or unless I misunderstood Nadine. Do you recall the same thing?

Navneet Bhandari: Yeah, same thing. I think he was based on that conversation. He was looking for jerseys across the board for the team.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, sounds good. Yeah and Stuart says what we still have money in the previous wish list left over. So I guess yeah Nadine if you could chat with him at that exactly what it is we need and then how much money and then perhaps we could work it out with Stuart. I think it sounds like we're all in agreement that if it's something that kids can. Pass on to the next players year over year. It sounds like everybody is okay to support that versus something that Council would pay outright for Teacher. that can only be used by one student. So does that sound good we can go from there. Our next meeting is a council isn't until April but Nadine we can always chat, with Jenna and navinet and I in the Halls. And yeah, we're there every Tuesday so actually no they're there every day.

Jenna Robertson: okay great. Thank you both Devin and nikhil for the updates. That's great. Does anyone else have questions for the boys?

Jenna Robertson: Okay, as always you guys are welcome to stay or if you need to leave. That's okay, too. Thanks again for coming. And now we will move on to Stuart principal report.

Stuart van Oostveen: I just wanted to talk a little bit. We spent a lot of time today. We had a superintendents meeting all day. And the first part of it was at Confederation education center at Woodruff from Hunt Club. And then the second part we were at a colonel bi school. And what we're doing is we're working on something called instructional rounds and it's going into different classes and just talking to students about what they're learning and how they know what they're doing. and where they can go for help what resources they're using to learn and if they understand really what they're learning and what the task is as well. So that's something that we kind of practice that kernel by it was really neat. I wanted to bunch of great nine and ten classes a whole bunch of principles. We went through the whole school and we are told which classes we could go into and we just talk to kids and ask them about what they were learning and that was really need to practice and then we kind of debriefed afterward with the superintendent. So that's work that we started that a little bit at Summerside.

Stuart van Oostveen: Angela and I are both going into classes and sometimes asking kids. What are you learning? And how do you know All right, and what do you do if he gets stuck those kinds of questions? and we're going to be doing more of that and that's gonna kind of help us inform how our kids are doing. It's just kind of taking the temperature of learning in the school and this year. Our district has asked

Stuart van Oostveen: Every school to prepare a school Improvement plan for student achievement and being also called sipsa and sipsa goals were in place for a long time before the pandemic and the during the pandemic. We kind of stopped the work and it's starting up again. It's really cool. So we've been asked just We look at some of our big data. We've got Eco yo that's been happening. Again. It's a very different format and kids are getting used to it. But we're using that as well as a report card data and parent student surveys and just lots of the conversations with teachers even yesterday. When we had our IEP review just finding out how teachers are meeting the needs that's really good conversation about student learning at the school. So we have three goals. One of them is I'll just say them quickly. if we're assessing students using Dibbles and other screening tools for student.

00:20:00

Stuart van Oostveen: Recognition and language comprehension in both English and French then we will better know how to meet our students needs in our prayer planning and programming. So that's our literacy learning goal. Then we have one for math as well. And in We've been learning about using impact instructional practices. And our theory of action is if we use in high impact instructional practices, then students will develop stronger conceptual and procedural understanding and Mathematics while improving their

Stuart van Oostveen: Options of themselves as emotional Learners of mathematics and having kids really believe and understand that they can be good at math is important because a lot of research is saying that all kids can be good enough some kids need more support and more time but everybody can be good at math and really helping kids develop a growth mindset and we want to use those high impact instructional practices. So that's where we're working on with respect to math. And then we have a well-being plan as well and our being plan is around using circles. So we use circles for restorative. But we also use circles and lots of different ways and so for using circles regularly in all of our classrooms at Summer Side to develop student voice to give students agency in their planning and our planning at school and also to develop community in a sense of belonging

Stuart van Oostveen: this will help them hear each other and develop empathy and then students will also become more engaged in open with us when they need support and they will just demonstrate higher levels of mental health. So it's about really letting students have voice and using circles because it's an excellent vehicle for making sure that every student has an opportunity to share how they're feeling about different situations whether those are incidents on the playground whether it's something they're learning whether it's their goals, it can be lots of vehicle for lots of different things. Even if it's sharing just something that they learned about and how it resonated with them. So our are three sips goals that we're working on. And they've been just really developed in the last few months and as a staff are coming together to work on that and see how we can do with those goals and how that impacts our learning with their students.

Stuart van Oostveen: The other thing I wanted to talk about is equity work that we're can always continuing at Summerside and the fall there was some tension sometimes between some of our students in

Stuart van Oostveen: and from Islamic background and students from a Jewish background. And so we did a lot of work with our Equity coaches who are teachers and our Equity team and they came into the school and they talked to lots of different classes and they talked to lots of different students. And then we also had a presentation from a Holocaust Survivor even Nelson. She came online and spoke to all of our students in grade four to eight. Again, it might have been five to eight five to eight and she talked about the Holocaust. It's so important that kids get to hear first-hand accounts of that and so that happened in December, I believe and then we also had a lovely presentation from Dr. Shirazi and Rabbi Bloom and they are too community.

Stuart van Oostveen: Community organizers and they're highly respected and they're also really good friends and Dr. Shirazi is Muslim and Riley Bloom is Jewish and they're really good friends and they just talked about stereotypes. They talked about making sure that we're not making assumptions about people and that were also open to learning and it was really powerful. I think when Dr. Sharazzi even talked about a phobia and a case of horrible gay bashing that happened in the 90s and what's so terrible and I think that was important for kids to hear too. So that's work that's been happening because of that and work with the equity team. We've also been able to connect with our local mosque. So there's a mosque on Innis Road. It's called Masjid Bilal and I met with the Imam there. I was introduced to him through Dr. Shirazi.

Stuart van Oostveen: and one of our instructional coaches occurred to Muhammad helped with that, too. And so I talked to him about some of the issues that were happening at Summerside back in January just after the holidays and so he came yesterday to visit Islamic Excellence group and it was a huge turnout. I think from grade four to grade eight. A lot of Muslim kids first we walked through the school had a bit of tour and he saw lots of kids who do go to his mosque just as recess was starting and then I think we had 80

00:25:00

Stuart van Oostveen: In their Makerspace and not enough chairs and he talked to the kids about how important it is to be respectful to people of all face because he said all people are God's children and that I think resonated with the kids and it's important that we are building those kinds of community relationships and it's also really important that I think that our families who are from Muslim background feel that the school is really being attentive to all the different lived experiences that our kids so we definitely done a lot of work with Black Excellence in that continues and today was a wonderful day for that and I wasn't there I missed it, but I hope to hear some highlights and a big thank you to Nadine and TT and Anita for their hard work to get the kids as well as guest speakers, which is really a lot of work too. And I know last year we had a wonderful wonderful assembly.

Stuart van Oostveen: Their trustee came to that as well. And then I'm sure today's was probably if not as good maybe even better I bet so I'm really proud of that work and I think it's really important giving our students their voice and recognizing that all kinds of different backgrounds are all valued at our school and we're working with that with our students with autism too or we're thinking about, students who are differently abled and labeled and how can we emphasize all those different abilities of our students also thinking about people from

Stuart van Oostveen: Different socioeconomic groups and I think we're going to be talking later on about providing some food but also empowering some of those kids and we've got some new students in our school who are from indigenous background and we're accessing all kinds of resources for those students as well and trying to make sure that they're feeling recognized and hurt and seeing and valued. So that's a lot of the work that we're doing in terms of equity at our school and that's important in so many respects. We're really thinking about the curriculum as well. And how can we make sure that we're having a culturally responsive Viewpoint inside of that instructional core when we're delivering curriculum when we're assessing students remember hearing students experiences and their voice. So that's an important component of all the work that we're doing and sips as well. So that's it for me. Do you have any questions?

Jenna Robertson: I have a question actually for Nadine about the Black Excellent Black Excellence story event. That was today not to put you on the spot. But are you able to share some feedback how that went. It sounds like it went well.

Nadine Mott: If it was an amazing day another amazing day. I'm still reeling or excellent or Black History Month. Assembly is student-led put on by the grade eights and supported by our grade sevens and our Black Excellence group. And so the grade eights would put together a presentation on a Black Canadian of their choosing somebody who was inspired them. We had Mark Frazier who's a former Toronto Maple Leafs player who's now the director of culture and inclusion with the Maple Leafs. He

came to speak to her black Excellence group in January. And so we had a presentation on him how to presentation on his father who was a former I'm just a combination of lawyer judge hockey player.

Nadine Mott: TV personality and then we had our resistance which was Merrick Palmer. He's a local Orleansian and he is a man who grew up in Toronto in the Jane and Finch neighborhood the youngest of seven kind of very poor neighborhood started playing basketball at grade nine and just kind of flourished from there. He now runs a basketball program out of the old YMCA gym and called Capital courts, and he is doing wonderful things. He talks about goal setting and following your passion and finding a passion and it was a special day today.

Nadine Mott: So we're all feeling pretty inspired. I had numerous kids come up to me today that were like Madam that was such a great assembly's to me Merrick son was at the assembly taking pictures and video and he said I don't remember Elementary School being like this and I said, what do you mean he's like everybody so polite and nice and I said that's really nice of you to say and nobody was misbehaving. Nobody was out of line. He's like people met me at the door. They walked us to the gym. Everybody welcomed me. I don't remember Elementary School being like this and I said, they're on point today and I said they were inspired by your dad. So I said it was a good day. There's a good day.

00:30:00

Jenna Robertson: That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that I was really glad to hear that. Yeah, of...

Nadine Mott: We're asking.

Jenna Robertson: Anybody else have questions for Stuart before I move on to Jenna for the treasures report?

Jenna Robertson: All right, Jenna over to

Jenna AuCoin: All right. So yesterday we deposited. 2,451.30 that was the pizza money that was paid with cash and check so that brought our balance up to 18,570 Dollars and 42 cents. We're still outstanding our school cash online check. We just couldn't get it in time for the meeting, but we are anticipating. a check of 21,992.40 firm School cash online for pizza term two That would put our balance at 40,562.82. So I know that.

Jenna AuCoin: We need to keep aside about 11,500 for that for pizza for the next 16 weeks. but that does leave a pretty healthy budget for staff wish list and for some sort of barbecue Community night. in the spring and then we're open to feedback for what the rest of it can be spent on and we also have another fundraiser in the works and there's still some pizza money still struggling in so that 40,000 562 would probably represent closer to 41,042,000. Angela

Angela Ronald: I just wanted to give a shout out to Jenna. For her trivia night that she organized last week. I'm sad that I was there because I know you had a question especially for me which I got right because she asked me after anyway, I just wanted to say go work Jenna I was

Jenna AuCoin: Yeah, We did raise over 500 dollars for the 22 Tuesday campaign. So hopefully that will be a nice little cushion for 22 next Tuesday. try to push it out as much as you can and hopefully that trivia night will give us a nice little head start.

Jenna Robertson: The questions were so hard. But we had a lot of fun. Andrea

Andrea Gordon: Sorry, sorry for turning off the video. My computer was freezing a bit. So sometimes it just helps when I turn off the video. I can ask this later if that's easier. You just had brought up Jenna about what else we could use the money for I don't know I was thinking about it the other day, we've kind of talked about Gardens we've kind of talked about. The outside stuff. Is there any and Stuart maybe we're not allowed. But is there any big sports equipment that the gym could use that we can use in the school missing sports equipment there were like people saying, I know Nadine you mentioned about basketballs.

Andrea Gordon: I know volleyball stuff looks pretty good, but a stuff like that, so I didn't know if there was a big ticket items that the gym is missing that maybe we could consider as a council.

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead Stuart.

Stuart van Oostveen: One of the things that we talked about was maybe some outdoor extra nets for soccer ones that are kind of portable that we could just put up and then take down and put a different places. So I'm not sure we'd want to cost those. There's a bunch of things. I think that we can look at for Jim and both indoor and outdoor equipment. And as I said, we still have a pretty big chunk of the wishlist money left. So I think let's get that spent and then we'll go back to school council and ask for more. Sounds like you guys are rich, but I know out of that 40,000 that all so you have to pay for the pizza that comes out that comes every week too, right? So, yeah, it's not all profit.

00:35:00

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, and I believe Nick has been collating a list from teachers of kind of things that they wanted Angela.

Angela Ronald: I just wanted to comment on the front of the school. I know we've talked about it a lot. I really think that

Angela Ronald: in my opinion should be a focus if we're able to pull that money together not only because of the look of the school, we like dangerous weeds and there were snakes in the school and I'm sure that they came from that but also I think that if we make it a manageable sized Garden, it's also great learning opportunities for students as well to, get involved in gardening to grow. I know, lots of the curriculum and different grades has to do with that. So our kids with autism that would be a great way for them to get out and participate and be a part of the school. So, I know it would be expensive. I know it would be but if there was any way we could make that work this spring.

Angela Ronald: That would be great. And I wouldn't mind, taking charge of that make calling find out how much it would cost to saw it and all that kind of stuff.

Jenna Robertson: Thanks, I'm glad you brought up the front garden because that's actually on the list of discussion items for tonight. And I know that a few of us including Stuart. Jenna Nick we had spoken with a rep from ocdb back last spring when we were looking at getting the Outdoor Classroom put in and basically she said that they do have funding that they can help out with as it comes to the front gardening, but we have to incorporate it into the curriculum somehow but as long as we can show that we're doing that then they can I don't know what the amount is, but they're able to give us some sort of funding to at least help with that. So I think we should definitely look into that get what we can from them. and then look at some options for fixing that up because I think we're all in agreement that what we have currently is not working. Especially I think we need snakes of the school or

Jenna Robertson: or whatever that wildest parsnip or I was gonna say wild asparagus wild parsnip.

Jenna Robertson: Yes and my husband Andrew loves to get very dirty with his hands. So he's also offered to do a lot of grunt work physical labor. We're just across the street. So it's super so moving on to Jenna and the Nik did you have your hand up? Okay.

Nik Cotter: If we're gonna be talking about Gardens more later on I can hold it till later.

Jenna Robertson: Okay. Jenna

Jenna AuCoin: I was just gonna recommend that we make it a discussion point for next meeting we can definitely Add it to an agenda and over the next two months have people think about ways that they want to spend it. It may have to come down to A vote so that was all I was gonna say. I didn't mean to slip it into my treasure update about it.

Jenna Robertson: okay.

Jenna AuCoin: Definitely should be a talking point for next meeting.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, for I think we should approach the ocdbp before them though, because I remember last year when we were speaking with Megan. April was almost too late to get going on something. Yeah, and they had already kind of figured out the plan for the coming year nikhil.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: I'm sorry I love to give suggestions.

Jenna Robertson: part of me You're a bit staticky.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: I'm on I'm not sure my wife eyes. But for a gym equipment going back to that. I love to give suggestions.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, sure.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: I don't know how. just I will disobey but like Me and that's not full on kind of stats. But Wilson makes those tennis that are easy to put up on a pool or something and it's a woman I suggested to Mr. Henry and he said he might look into it. So

Jenna Robertson: That's great. Thanks. Nikhil. It's helpful. You've got Vanowsveen here. The people that are in charge of getting things purchased and spending the money. So that's great. Does the school already have badminton Nets? And okay. Gotcha.

00:40:00

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah, and we're due to buy a bunch of new badminton equipment. We've got a big Badminton Club starting up as well. And that's going to start out as an intramural. I think then we're putting together badminton teams as well. So it's going to be for everybody who wants to try out and then they'll be games and then I think if there's gonna be some kind of Interest school competition later on and then it'll probably be a few students who get to represent our school. But yeah, we're about to buy a bunch of new badminton equipment to

Jenna Robertson: Great because it sounds like we have lots of money. So spend what you got then come back to us because we're just talking about this now that we don't have a long-term goal. Clearly. We have a lot more money sitting in the account. And it's great to finally see the money at work for the school. And one thing that Jenna nabney were talking about three of us was at the end of the year. I think it'd be great if we could go back to parents as a counsel and say These are the events we held this year. These are the fundraisers you all supported to thank you. And this is where we put the money this is what we bought for the school. Now, I really like to do that because I think then the parents have a good idea of when I buy pizza we bought this many tennis Nets or something like that. So navneet

Navneet Bhandari: Yeah, I just have a quick question. So. How does this work? if someone from a classroom reaches out and says for example, one of the autism classrooms, they were mentioning that they used to have a ball that Miriam used to play with the ball got lost. And then now they don't have an extra ball in the class. So there's just one example, is that something that school council can support and purchasing that or do we need to go through you for Stuart or how would that work?

Stuart van Oostveen: or any expenditures really should go through me because I have a Duty and...

Navneet Bhandari: Okay.

Stuart van Oostveen: We have board money to pay for curricular materials and in standard supplies for kids with autism. We have special money that we also get special grants that we get to support equipment and every year I go to the stuff and see What do we need what we need and then you try to spend all that money because usually it comes but this time of year and then we have to have it all spent by. and it may beginning of June so

Stuart van Oostveen: I know that the autism team did some fundraising as along they raised about a thousand dollars and we haven't had to spend any of it yet for them the music program. It's all being covered by music for every child charity. So I have a feeling that they may not come to us at all this year for some money plus I also have a little bit of pot because we have a pot a part of money for supplementing that because we ask families last year. I think if they want to make some donations for the music program and they did so we've got about 200 dollars that we can send to the music for every child as well just because they're helping us so beautifully and did last year as well. So, it's important the money that we have raised this year that we spend it this year and we still have parts of money.

Stuart van Oostveen: From before the pandemic but it's kind of nice because there was money that was earmarked for hockey and I can finally spend it this year for hockey team. So that's good too because that money has just been sitting waiting for a hockey team and it's really important that we have money that's allocated for specific point that we spend it for that decision. Where was to be allocated in the first place. yeah, and that's my job as to monitor all those things that we're making sure that the

money has been evenly across the board for our kids at the school. So that kids in kindergarten and kids and create are still getting relatively the same amounts that are spent on them and also that we're keeping the school.

Stuart van Oostveen: while equipped and that's up to teachers as well to kind of tell me. this is what we need but when we hear from kids too like nikhil saying, hey, we'd love to do tennis. I'll talk to the staff, and if there's a will for staff to teach tennis, then we can do that. We can invest in that equipment. So I think that'd be neat to do because we've got some money to do that with this year. we're not badly off with our supplementary friends. Are we call them student generated funds? We're not badly off partly because of that big wish list that you guys gave us and in the fall, so that's really awesome. So, thank you.

Jenna Robertson: Thanks for clarifying that Stuart I think for navneet now because we are in the school. So frequently, we often have staff approaches and say hey can counsel fund this and we were just basically saying yeah, we know that Stuart you have different avenues that you might be able to allocate funds from different grants, whatever. So I guess the best case is just always redirect back to you and discuss with Stuart, and Nick first and Perfect. Okay, Jenna you're anything else to add from Treasure? moving on to other fundraising activities I want to ...

00:45:00

Nik Cotter: for Jenna

Jenna Robertson: I'm sorry, Nick. I forgot.

Nik Cotter: Sorry about that.

Jenna Robertson: You're great.

Nik Cotter: I just wanted to jump in there maybe and just say as well as we've been talking about the money. We're getting four wish list what one thing that maybe given these conversations. Maybe we need to look at doing perhaps that are March staff meeting is maybe we need to actually sit with the staff and make a new wish list because yes, we've got money coming for wish list, but the actual wish list itself is probably a little out of date now, and I think that's where it starts to get a little not dangerous but it gets a little iffy if you have people that are approaching you for whatever the current thing they want is whether it is a ball for Miriam or it is hockey jerseys or shirts or whatever that current thing may be. We kind of need a better picture of division-wide both the depth and the breadth of what everybody needs do we need the recess equipment. What kind of recessive with that be are we?

Nik Cotter: Are we School wide saying yes, we really want to put a good chunk into their Gardens so that we have a better idea and it's not just today I want this and I'll just dip into the school council bank account kind of thing. not that that's what happens like because that I know Stuart like you control all that and that's not happening, but I think maybe from a Standpoint we need that reminder of let's look at this holistically, as a staff hopefully that's all making sense.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, absolutely. I think that's a great idea and navneet.

Navneet Bhandari: Yeah, to be fair a lot of times when to us it said kind of half joking and then Jenna and I were the bleeding heart committee. So we're like where we want to give all the money but then we stop and say you have to check with Stuart we see the things but yeah, I think sometimes it's sad jokingly, but then when we speak to some of the teachers, they're kind of gently surprised almost that they can request this. They just have to go through the right Avenue doing so I think an updated wish list is an excellent idea.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, or just maybe remind them what the process is like if there's something that you need funded or if you want your field trip subsidized. I know we had a teacher asking us about a ski trip. For example, just reminding them. They should just go to Stuart first and then go from there.

Jenna Robertson: Moving on to other fundraising activities. So I wanted to give you a quick update on the pizza program. Just some fun facts for you. Jenna mentioned that we'll be getting a check soon just under 22,000 for the second term of pizza, which is fantastic in case you're curious that works out to 332 slices of cheese pizza and a hundred and thirty slices of pepperoni That's about 60 boxes of pizza coming in every Tuesday to the school. So we had a lot more kids buy more slices this term and the

program's running really well, so complaints there and we've got a lot of really great dedicated volunteers that are keeping it running.

Jenna Robertson: for purdies we are doing the prettiest chocolate fundraiser. Simon Malik is running that again this year. She was unable to make it tonight. Unfortunately. Basically our fundraising event online is up and running now, so we have the link that we can share and I think there's a Purdy's flyer that automatically gets put together right now navneet. Yeah. So it's just a matter of communicating it out to the parents now Angela and Stuart if we could give you the information to put into the family update that would be wonderful basically. The deadline to order is going to be March 11th.

Jenna Robertson: And then we're going to have the people who pick up their orders at the school on Thursday, March 28th, right before Easter weekend. We did that with mcmillins and it worked really well that everybody showed up on time. We just had a table outside at front the school. So we're gonna do that again, if everybody's okay with that and just so the Purdy's fundraiser usually brings in anywhere from 5 to 600 dollars. So it is a decent size fundraiser. Next thing was bake sale. So I know navneet you had talked about maybe wanting to put on a bake sale this year and you're hoping to maybe kind of piggy back off of an intermediate bake sale, but it sounds like they're not doing one. So I think she wanted to kind of open up for discussion tonight and see if there would be a good time to plan one.

00:50:00

Navneet Bhandari: Yeah, so last year it was done. I feel like it was in and around Valentine's Day lower in February. I think Mr. Henry was the one who spearheaded at that time this year there wasn't one. So yeah, it doesn't take much to do it meaning like we could if they're Nick, I'm not sure if they're spending discussion amongst the staff of doing one this year. If so, we could do it together. If there is no discussion of it amongst the stuff that I'm happy to just do it with us and then to see if another the Juniors they're intermediates want to do a collaboratively so I'm pretty much open to it because I don't really have anything other fundraising efforts for the rest of the year.

Navneet Bhandari: Yeah, that's perfect. If you can check. Jenna, that was the one that we did last year was what month Was that this in February? Yeah, Yeah, just let us know Nick if you hear anything, and I can also ask around as well.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, I think the big thing is which we just wanted to make sure to that. It didn't coincide with another really important day at school. Yeah. Okay. Sounds good.

Angela Ronald: I think I remember too that the bake sale last year. The one that Jenna's mentioning we didn't get a lot of stuff. So there were a lot of kids that came down with money, but there wasn't enough cookies and cakes and stuff. So, I'm sorry.

Navneet Bhandari: I think Yeah,...

Angela Ronald: Go ahead.

Navneet Bhandari: I was gonna say I remember the date being changed a couple of times I think once was a snow day, I think there was some things that kind of might have contributed to that but I remember because both my kids told me there wasn't enough stuff. but having said that I think it was the first one we've done at the school in many years pre-covid time. So yeah, but I do remember there was definitely not enough stuff last time.

Jenna Robertson: Dahlia

Dahlia: Where did the stuff come from?

Dahlia: the big stuff

Jenna Robertson: I'm assuming it was.

Angela Ronald: Lots of parents made it and...

Navneet Bhandari: parents

Dahlia: Okay.

Angela Ronald: yeah and some thought Broad and stuff from stores and there was a letter that went home saying that there weren't any nuts like the ingredients that could not be in the baked goods because of allergies.

Stuart van Oostveen: I think the students also will had the kids doing some baking at school too. so it was from that too. That's kind of where it started because he was teaching them how to bake in French. And so then they made lots of things and then they just supplemented it with parent contributions.

Jenna Robertson: So navneet, I guess you can follow up with Nick about that. perfect. The other fundraising item that I wanted to bring up tonight was Jenna is graciously volunteering to lead efforts on Reviving Summerfest kind of 2.0 also known as summer barbecue something some sort of Summer kind of barbecue event before end of the year to give back to the Summer Side Community. And yeah, I'll pass it over to you Jenna.

Jenna AuCoin: There's not much planned yet. I'm hoping to Rally a committee tonight. If anyone wants to work on that with me, I'm gonna automatically sign up Jenna in navneet into Ling Andrea. and Angela.

Jenna AuCoin: nice Andrea are you in for that?

Andrea Gordon: Yeah, maybe it depends when it is and what you guys are looking at doing.

Jenna AuCoin: So it's gonna basically be Summerfest but a big smaller but with food so a bar I know previously when we've done Summerfest we have had food trucks come and we haven't offered food. So it's gonna look more like a barbecue maybe with a bouncy house that were in a face painter. It's gonna be something along those lines, but just a gathering of community and then Nadine I had heard also wants to have an art show. That night and so we're going to go ahead.

Nadine Mott: No. I'm Starting up because I'm crazy to do an art show at the school with contributions from all the kids. And so I was looking for and a school-wide event where we could collaborate so it's not just parents coming in for the art show would be the art show and So if we could do the barbecue in the art show all at the same time, I think that would be a good way to get a lot of foot traffic and a lot of kids in and then we could do.

00:55:00

Nadine Mott: either Raffles for some collaborative art made or silent auctions something like that raise some money for I don't know what yet, but raise the money for something.

Jenna AuCoin: Yeah, I love that. I just don't know if I guess because our event is not a fundraiser. So as long as we're not both fundraising like anything we raise wouldn't be able to sell anything basically. So if you're raising money, then the initiative has to be Clear, that's the only thing I would say, but we're not like selling food. All the food would be given back to the community. And if the face painter is there it's all going to be paid for so we basically wouldn't be handling any money. So if you wanted to raise money for the school on that night, that would be lovely. I love that idea. So, like I said, we're gonna rally a committee now that trivia night is over that's gonna have my full attention. And then I guess we'll meet as a subcommittee pick a date and go from there. So.

Nadine Mott: I would love to be part of that committee then.

Jenna AuCoin: Perfect.

Jenna Robertson: It sounds like you already have a healthy group of volunteers. That's awesome, Jenna.

Jenna AuCoin: I voluntold half of you and Andrea the head.

Andrea Gordon: So just given our timelines. I just think though that we just have to be cautious of the size of event that we're looking at doing because we used to start planning Summerfest back in October. So given that it's already March. I just don't want anybody to have thoughts of going back to what Summerfest was that it used to look like because it was so much planning. So just as long as you guys are okay with that and...

Jenna AuCoin: Yeah.

Andrea Gordon: aware of that then cool

Jenna AuCoin: It won't be that big for sure. we had firefighters and the 67s mascots and vendors coming and stuff like that.'s not that it's basically just going to be a barbecue a face painter and an art show so luckily Nadine, wants to partner on that and we don't have to provide a ton more entertainment than that. So it's really just gonna be a night for Gathering. It's not gonna be as extravagant as Summerfest and we have made a lot of connections throughout the year too for food. So I think we have made You good connection with FreshCo who are willing to partner with us to sell us stuff at cost. So yeah, we just have to get the ball rolling on that basically.

Jenna Robertson: I think one thing to take into account too is if I recall correctly Thursday night is the only night that we have the school right there Stuart. Yeah, so it would have to be Thursday night. If the art show is going to be kind of in the school. but we can leave all the details for the subcommittee and then

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, we can report back by April 24th is our next council meeting, but I'm sure by then everything will been finalized and Well on its way. did I miss somebody had their hand up Dahlia was that you?

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, I mean, I guess I just assumed it would be the Thursday. Did we do Summerfest on a weekend in the past? We did All right, so something for the committee to consider.

Jenna Robertson: Stuart

Stuart van Oostveen: And just check with me about permits because I know that there's some Community organizations that have a bunch of weekends booked in our gym and then the parking lot gets full too because they have tournaments and they run some of them start Friday night and then they keep going all day Saturday into Sunday. So we have to make sure that we're mindful of that too because we want to make sure that I'm just parking and so on and that logistically it'll be smooth. So just check with me about that.

Jenna Robertson: Sounds good. Thank you moving on to other items for discussion. I know it's eight. So we'll try to move things along here. So Ali is not here tonight, unfortunately, but I did speak with him. So at our last meeting in November Ali had proposed that he would like to basically set up a table to celebrate naru's at the school when that happens. I did let him know that if there was expenses that he needed for that it's small amounts that he could come to counsel and get that done as we had discussed back in November. I don't know exactly what his plans are Angela & Stuart, but I'm going to redirect him to both of you if that's okay. Just because I know I think he wants to put out a table and then involves some sort of Education piece somehow, so I'll just tell him to connect with both of you so he can start planning that

01:00:00

Jenna Robertson: And the next item that we had was the snack program. Okay, so a bit of context for this. So again Bobby Chow hand had mentioned this to me after our last meeting in November and he's not here tonight to speak to it, but I'm bringing it on his behalf. so context behind this So I guess there'd been a few parents and that had noticed or I guess you could say anecdotal reports of maybe kids not having enough to eat at school. I don't have any examples of that. All I was told was there was some talk about it and if we could look into as a counsel some sort of snack program or something to help out kids throughout the day.

Jenna Robertson: before we open this for discussion, I understand that there's some things that the schools already doing, if kids go to their teacher or to the office to say I'm hungry. I don't have a lunch today. There might be something that the school's already doing. I know the pizza program we put leftover cheese pizza in the freezer that Andrea Doles out to the kids who don't have lunches and things like that. one of the things that navneet in Jenna and I had discussed was potentially something like

Jenna Robertson: offering non-perishable snacks to any kid throughout the day that council could fund as a pilot program between now and the next meeting in April to see what the demand is and if kids are eating it we recognize that if we did that it would have to be something that can be easily done by a handful of volunteers because it really is just a small group of us on the volunteer front and it has to be non-perishable. It has to be things that kids won't have allergies to I think we're light years away from a breakfast program type. Idea at this point we would need a much. larger group to do that But before I open the debate for

discussion on that, I just wanted to allow staff to have a chance to kind of. Say about what's already happening at the school. I know Andrea had mentioned to me a few things.

Andrea Gordon: Did you want sorry did you want me to say what?

Jenna Robertson: I'm just wondering whether it's Angela you or Stuart if somebody says I don't have enough food today or I'm hungry. Is it's the teachers have their own snacks that they do all out or is it from the office or I guess what are we currently doing before we make a decision to do?

Angela Ronald: I just had that happen to me today. there was somebody in the office that I knew did not have any lunch and this is consistent with this student. So I just go from supposed to do this, but I just go down to the EDP for Edge and pull some cheese out or pull a hummus out or some mandarins so that they have something to fill their stomach and then I was going to talk to you tomorrow about that Stuart about the student because it is a concern because this is something that I know happens with the student regularly, but I think Andrea was also Purchasing some snacks. I overheard her talking about that the other day. So we do have snacks in the office. But sometimes I wonder if you don't have any lunch if a granola bar is enough,

Andrea Gordon: I have granola bars. There's fruit bars and there's breakfast bars in there. That's kind of what we had gotten in the fall and we stuck with it.

Andrea Gordon: There is the pizza but we have to be a little bit careful with the pizza because when word got out that we were giving kids who didn't have a lunch Pizza. It suddenly was many kids in the office saying I don't have a lunch. Can I have a slice of pizza? So that's hard because there are legitimately kids who don't have a lunch and then there's friends who just don't want to eat the lunch that they were given or accidentally forget their lunch so that they can come down and ask for pizza. So we started tracking it a little bit better at Stuart's request, just writing down the kids don't really know but I just keep a small note of who's been asking me and I forgot my lunch is it I just ate didn't have enough lunch because that's a big one. We're getting a lot of I had enough for first recess, but I didn't have enough for second and I'm hungry.

Andrea Gordon: so we're just kind of keeping track of that and seeing that the trend there but giving the kids the snacks from the cupboard when they need it and we also are encouraging them to try and call home if they can in a case where we know that it's just forgotten because often then their parent can in drop off a proper lunch. And if they can't then we supplement it with the snacks. So that's kind of what's been happening at the office.

01:05:00

Jenna Robertson: Thanks, You mentioned that there's granola bars and fruit bars and things like that. How is that funded?

Stuart van Oostveen: I use hstv bit money for which is what it's for and We had a donation from Dollarama as well. And they use that money as So that's coming us for about two months.

Andrea Gordon: Giant Tiger

Stuart van Oostveen: Hasn't it? Andrea two or three months?

Andrea Gordon: yeah, it was Giant Tiger and that covered us from I guess I went end of October beginning of November and...

Stuart van Oostveen: jacket

Andrea Gordon: I have three granola bars left and I bought more stuff yesterday. So yeah.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: Angela sorry Stuart. You had your hand raised before? I don't know if there's anything you wanted to add to that.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah, just we talked to EDP and I really like that we can go to the EDP fridge. they don't want us to go in there a lot. I don't find that we go in there a lot. But we do go in there sometimes and what I really love about the EDP food is that

it's rich in protein. It meets the nutritional guidelines that we're supposed to follow. I'm not really sure if the granola bars do they probably may not have high enough fiber and too much sugar The thing. I know you've been talking about non-perishable, but one of the

Stuart van Oostveen: One of the ways that one school that I'm aware of they had fresh food in the school every day and they had it sitting in a place where kids could just take it but it was also monitor pretty closely. So that they were taking just a piece for themselves and it was kind of a nice program. It wasn't hard to run. He just put a bowl of food out and then you put it at a certain time of day and we let kids know that it's there and that they can have it if they don't have enough food to eat. So the thing about fruit too is it's nutritious. It meets all the nutritional guidelines and it's a little bit sweet and it's not something that kids are necessarily gonna forget their lunch for it's a nice kind of supplemental thing. and I think also having something like

Stuart van Oostveen: some cheese strings as well. I again perishable, but that you can keep that in the fridge and that lasts a while too. Those kinds of supplies. We do get it from EDP, but I think maybe we could buy some and replace what we've taken from EDP maybe and then that way it's kind of like They can keep it going and we'll just kind of replenish their supplies. That's in a while. That might be a way to do it.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, that's a good idea Angela and then navneet and Andrea.

Andrea Gordon: around

Jenna Robertson: you're on mute and

Andrea Gordon: Angela you're on mute.

Angela Ronald: Sorry, I was just going to actually say what Stuart said and that's some at the old I think it was Volunteers in education that did it. Maybe it was a different organization, but Once a week they bring us big boxes of bananas and big boxes of apples and we would just have them in a bowl in the office and you could really tell the kids that were really hungry because I'm hungry. Okay get an Apple. No, that's okay. I don't want to know so you really knew who wanted food by those that took the apples or the bananas. So yeah a lot more nutritional value throwing some cheese in there. They also had cheese as well. I can't remember the organization I could find out but I know that they did Supply it to our school because we had students that needed food. So yeah.

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead and navneet.

Navneet Bhandari: I was gonna say as someone who does lunch monitoring for the primaries and some of the Juniors there is definitely kids that don't have any food this for the second break and it's consistently that they don't and I've never had them once ask me if they can go down to the office and ask for us not so for sure there's kids that that go down and get it but I think that some of the kids that I can see that truly need that second snack. I don't know that they know that it's an option to go to the office and I also think this is kind of like a tricky topic because there's probably a lot of Shame associated with it and they might not understand why they don't have the food that the kids have and maybe the parent it gets tricky with the parents. So I love the idea of having things like cheese string or bananas and apples in a bowl somewhere where they know what's there and like you said we can

01:10:00

Navneet Bhandari: Lee kind of figure out who's genuinely hungry I think of specific students and to think if they knew that for second break they could go down the office and get a banana or an apple. I can't imagine it would make such a difference for them. So I think that's a really good idea and I'm more than happy to take that on and be responsible for that. We all know I love Costco. So I'm happy to take that on if we decide that's what we want to do, but I really really think that would be a good idea.

Jenna Robertson: I think that's great too navneet spoken. I'd be happy to help out too. And again proximity to school for me is super easy. And I think like you said broadcasting it. So all the students are aware that it's something they can do and nobody they're not gonna have to answer questions as to why I think that piece is really important and Andrea and then nikhil.

Andrea Gordon: Angela kind of covered on it. It just EVP had given us a bag of apples and a bag of oranges just before Christmas because they ended up with way too much stuff and it was going to go bad and we did use most of it. So we were kind of the kids who didn't have a lunch or taking a piece of fruit and one of the things from the cupboard. And Angela's absolutely right the kids who didn't want it. They were like, I'm fine.

Andrea Gordon: but Apple yeah.

Jenna Robertson: Alright, thanks for that, Andrea. So it sounds like there's definitely nikhil. Go ahead.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: I was just saying also. There was an issue a few weeks ago in the grade one class that I launched water. A lot of kids were actually throwing their food out. And just the girls one one can edges I grew a whole lot and they're just companies out of their containers and it was like a lot of kids were doing that. They exciting awesome for Android there was a kid a few weeks ago that he didn't have a lunch or he ate all of his lunch in the first break and I wasn't too sure I think a friend voluntarily gave him some

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, one of the things nikhil that we've noticed during the pizza. Every Tuesdays that will often have students come and say is there any extra pizza today? And one of the first things that we ask is do you have lunch today and a lot of the times they'll say yes, and they'll just kind of walk away, but I think if they're throwing their food out and they're saying they're still hungry that I think that's kind of a Different thing. I'm not a teacher so I don't want to tell you how to address that as a lunch monitor or one of the staff wants to step in.

Stuart van Oostveen: Nikhil, did you let me down Caroline know about that?

NIKHIL SHANKAR: Who's not there at the time? I did let Miss Samuel she was there at the time.

Stuart van Oostveen: Okay.

Stuart van Oostveen: Good. so

Navneet Bhandari: From a lunch monitor's perspective for that at just today. I saw one of the students in midamp Barrel's class was throwing up his food and she had stepped in and said no no we're not take it home. if you don't want to eat it, that's fine. But take it home. Don't throw it out. So I do know that some teachers are reminding the students that whatever you have you need to take that home if you're not finishing it and also it's a big for them to be giving food to each other because of allergies and stuff like that. So I don't know if maybe and in terms of them finishing food is there an opportunity for I mean, I'm happy too because now that I'm honored I'm have the same classes for the morning and the afternoon. I'm happy to remind them starting tomorrow for a couple of days that you need to make sure you have enough food for both breaks. Don't eat it all at once. So maybe myself or teachers can just remind their home rooms of that. But yeah, I don't think that should be enough of a reason for them to

Navneet Bhandari: And get extra food if there's a rationing it properly.

Jenna Robertson: Dahlia and Nick and then we'll wrap this up because we only have about 15 minutes left and there's still the garden issue to speak of go ahead.

Dahlia: Thank I know sometimes it's hard for kids to identify that they're having food insecurities, but parents will know so parents give the kids what they have at home and parents know it might not be enough for your whole day. But that's all I have. So maybe if we're gonna have this food available, it's good, but parents know either in our update or some weight like parents know if you're giving your kid that foot, he's not enough say hey, maybe go to office today and get a banana. so the parents know that there's something available because maybe they're trying their best, but that's all they have and so they can send the kids to the office. So the kids don't feel any way going because Their parents said it's okay to go get those things in office.

01:15:00

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, that's an excellent point. Thanks for that Dahlia, Nick.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, I totally agree and I think maybe one thing I don't know what the feasibility would be of this. I think especially Andrea, I like things looking pretty and organized. I wonder if there could be a way of having a little shelving unit with some nice

baskets and the apples are the bananas are here. The cheese strings are out for the day and obviously some stuff has to be refrigerated but make it really a pretty thing. I like it when it looks pretty and it looks with a little science thing take what you need and then we can even send that picture out. So that families know and just say yeah, that's in the office for you the other part that I wanted to mention from the other side of things is maybe it's worth looking at trying to push a literless lunch again, because we've got so much stuff that gets thrown out. I know from the Eco School side of things like our recycling bins are full of stuff that can't actually be recycled.

Nik Cotter: And maybe that would also help deal with this issue of food getting thrown out. So just if you've got a granola bar from home, the rapper goes home with you and hopefully throw it at home. Maybe I know some schools that have done it before it can be difficult to monitor. So it's a bigger conversation than just tonight, but it might be something to consider going forward that maybe it deals with more issues than just the one.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, that's a really good point and I love your idea about having a snack cart and making it fun and it just making a great big deal about it. So, okay, so it sounds like we all agree that this supplementing with snacks is a wonderful idea as a council executive. We had discussed maybe fronting a few hundred dollars between now and the next meeting as kind of like a pilot program to see the uptake from kids between now and our next meeting which is end of April 24th, and then we can report back then and see how things are going. I think from here navneet and I can speak with Stuart & Angela and Nick and just discuss what this is going to look like and yeah, that sound good.

Jenna Robertson: And if there's anybody on the call that wants to help out with the snack program, please do reach out to either myself Jenna or navneet and we'd be happy to have the help. so last item for this evening is the front garden. So I know we discussed that a little bit already and I know that we were talking about going back to ocdsb Angela. I know you said you were happy to kind of champion the front garden. would you mind reaching out again to Megan and kind of finding out what the specific parameters are like what we need exactly for the curriculum maybe Stuart. Have some of that info.

Jenna Robertson: but in addition to the front garden, we'd also talked about getting actual planter Gardens for the back that the students could also contribute to and from what I understand the board also has money for that. And then if you want to go ahead and speak with some landscaping companies and get some quotes and maybe some different ideas for low maintenance stuff. I know that sod can be really expensive but I know they also are pitching things these days like ground cover Clover or time or stuff that really takes up and eats out the weeds in the area, but it's a bit more lower maintenance and cheaper than sod. I'm just thinking out loud, but I think putting saw down that entire area would probably cost a sizable amount of money. But I mean, it's good to at least know what the cost would be.

Angela Ronald: I'll look into that.

Jenna Robertson: That would be great. Thank you. Does anybody else have anything to add on The Gardens Nick?

Nik Cotter: Yeah, just in terms of doing the sawd as much as it covers up a lot of stuff and I think some of it would have to be sold or some kind of ground cover. I think my guess not having seen the stuff from ocdsv is that that would not qualify for any money from them because that's not going to be enough in terms of actual learning experience for students. So we probably need some sort of accommodation of Side and then still something garden-wise that students are actually planting a planning planting and maintaining I think.

01:20:00

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, and I have had volunteers talking about if things need to be dug up out of the garden and I know we have contacts at Robertson rental. We can rip up whatever we need to so at no cost to council which would be really helpful if that's something that we're allowed to do Stuart. but So if you want to do that and report back, maybe we'll keep this discussion on going because there's going to be a lot of time between now and next April. So I'll follow up with you on email for that and then we can discuss. Perfect. And if we have to, come back to council and further spend we can perhaps arrange for a meeting in March if we needed to but I'm wondering is there a way that we can vote without holding a meeting? voting on spending on certain amount of funds

Jenna Robertson: Andrea do you know?

Andrea Gordon: I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it's supposed to go through how you guys usually do it. So that would mean like a meeting.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, Okay, that's what I thought.

Andrea Gordon: It's just the reason I suggested a March meeting is because you guys have Summerfest you have all the garden stuff that you want to talk about. If we leave this all till April, it's gonna be a lot to get done in a really short period of time. I know March is a hard month because of spring break I get it, but it's just a thought maybe you want to consider doing a meeting towards the end of March as well. So

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, that's not a bad idea. What does everybody think Nika so you've got your hand raised?

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, then if we're all in agreement, perhaps we could schedule one for Wednesday, March 20th.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, we may or may not have a financial expense to vote on at that point, but we might have some quotes by then and have a better idea of what we're looking at financially at least. So next meeting will be March 20th. Does anybody have anything else to add on the garden?

Jenna Robertson: Before we close. I'll do a quick roundtables or anything else that anybody wanted to raise this evening.

Jenna Robertson: nikhil

NIKHIL SHANKAR: Present my report I did mention a culture today. I forgot to elaborate on that. So we're doing the culture day in mid April. We're still trying to plan. There's gonna be a door decorating contest for each class. Each class will be given a specific entry handle decorate their doors according to the colors of that country's flag or stuff. We're also seeing workshops by students and parents any of you parents would like to come in and host any Workshop of any sort culturally. We'd be happy to have you and it's pretty much it and be fun. It was a big hit last year and everyone loved it.

Jenna Robertson: That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that nikhil.

Jenna Robertson: I am looking forward to hearing more about that. Once it happens. All right, if there's no more comments for this evening the meetings adjourned and we'll see you on March 20th. Take care everybody.

NIKHIL SHANKAR: Hi, everyone.

Jenna Robertson: Bye. Thanks for joining us.

Andrea Gordon: Bye.

Meeting ended after 01:24:33 🙌